In this brief article, we will answer the question can whey protein go bad, its nine health benefits, its side effects and how to store it.
Can whey protein go bad?
Yes, whey protein can go bad and it expires as it is mentioned on commercial packaging. An unopened whey protein package stays unspoiled for 6 to 9 months.
In milk there are two types of proteins available that are casein and whey protein. Casein protein is used for making cheese and whey protein is left behind. Whey protein is the by-product of the cheese making process and is used in various recipes.
Whey protein is one of the primary proteins of milk and other dairy products. It is composed of many essential amino acids and needed by the body to carry out major functions. Sue to its necessity. It is also provided as a separate entity other than milk protein.
Health benefits of whey protein:
Whey is a healthy protein made of essential amino acids, essential amino acids are those amino acids which cannot be produced by the body so they are provided by outside. So consuming whey protein is actually giving your body all the essential nutrients.
Whey protein is very beneficial for body; it provides following health benefits:
1. Whey protein is good for muscle growth; it slows the natural ageing process or prevents declining of muscle mass in body
2. It might be used to lower blood pressure; many dairy products are known for lowering blood pressure.
3. By lowering blood pressure, whey proteins protect the body from cardiovascular diseases and heart diseases
4. Whey protein is known to be effective in moderating sugar level in blood. It increases the level of insulin in body, in this way it helps the patients of diabetes mellitus
5. Whey proteins have an anti-inflammatory effect on body due to presence of C-reactive protein
6. Whey proteins have amino acids, in the body the production of many anti-oxidants depend on availability of amino acids. So whey protein helps improve body antioxidant defenses
7. It was observed that people who drink whey protein have lesser bad cholesterol or LDL in the body as compared to people who didn’t consume it.
8. Whey protein has an effect on appetite suppression, which helps you lose weight
9. It fastens the metabolism which also helps in losing weight and burning more calories
Side effects of whey proteins:
Generally, whey protein is considered safe for consumption due to its health benefits. It provides essential amino acids to the body and works on providing nutrients to the body. But consuming whey protein in a balanced amount is necessary.
When consumed directly there are no apparent side effects in adults or children. If taken in high amounts, it causes increased bowel syndrome which may lead to diarrhea. It is also responsible for nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, and reduces appetite
Shelf life of whey protein:
Whey protein is used as a protein drink when exercising, in ricotta cheese, and other food products. It is commercially available as drinks, so there is a commercial shelf life given for each product. In commercial whey protein the expiration is as long as one year or 12-18 months after manufacturing.
The shelf life increases if stored properly for about 2 months more. It is better to follow the industrial guidelines and discard product past expiration date but some people still drink it. And it is safe if you are keeping the drink in proper storage conditions
If you haven’t opened your whey protein package, it can stay safe 6 to 9 more months past expiration date. This only happens if you provide proper storage conditions and there is no damage to the package or seal is broken.
How to store whey protein?
Whey protein is shelf stable product in the form of powder, if it is stored properly. The shelf life increases due to good handling and proper storage. The practices for good storage conditions are:
Store the whey protein package in a cool, dark, and dry environment. It is best to store containers in a pantry and not a place where moisture can reach it or light can reach it. The effects of light, Temperature, and bacterial attack can denature protein
Whey protein is kept in safe, air tight packaging in which no light can reach it. In an unopened package the seal is intact to avoid any exposure with microbes, moisture, and light. Many people also store supplements in plastic jar which is also okay until it is not exposed to any risk
How to tell if protein has gone bad?
Whey protein usually denatures or goes bad by action of microbes, change in temperature and presence of moisture. If you see clumps in your whey protein powder it means it is exposed to moisture. It starts to taste and smell differently if it goes bad.
In this brief article, we have answered the question can whey protein go bad, explained its nine health benefits, its side effects and how to store it