In this brief article, we will provide an answer to the question, “Can we eat black potatoes?” with an in-depth analysis of whether eating black potatoes is good for health or not, the black pattern of potatoes, how can potatoes be prevented from turning black? health benefits and some drawbacks of eating potatoes.
Can we eat black potatoes?
Yes, we can eat black potatoes without any fear of getting sick. Black potatoes are safe to eat. The only difference between a black potato and a normal potato is their colour.
Otherwise the texture and nutrient content is the same in both of them. Although black potatoes are unattractive, their flavour is just the same as a normal potato.
Why do potatoes turn black?
The reason why potatoes turn black is that when peeled potatoes are exposed to air, an oxidation process takes place. This process turns the potato black but it is just a natural reaction that causes no side effects.
The black pattern inside a raw potato
The black pattern inside a raw potato is very common. This happens when the starch of potatoes is converted to sugar at low temperature due to which this black area becomes visible in potatoes. If we look towards the taste of these potatoes then we come to know that their taste is not much different from normal potatoes.
Plus point is that these potatoes are a little bit sweeter in taste as compared to normal potatoes. These are totally a safe option to eat.
How to stop boiled potatoes from turning black?
Boiled potatoes also turn black sometimes. So, to stop them from becoming black here are some suggestions:
- It is essential to lower the pH of potatoes. Lowering the pH would help potatoes to fight off oxidation so that they may not turn black.
- Juice extracted from lemons is also very helpful in stopping potatoes from turning black. A bit of lemon juice is used to protect potatoes.
- White vinegar is also useful in protecting potatoes from getting black.
- One teaspoon to a half-gallon of water is also used for anti-browning effects. It also does not alter the flavour of potatoes.
- Another common method is to keep potatoes in a bowl of water. After keeping them in water these must be stored in refrigerators until you use them.
How to fix oxidized potatoes?
It is possible to fix oxidized potatoes. This procedure might not reverse black potatoes to normal potatoes exactly. But it is very helpful. Firstly, we need to stop the oxidation reaction.
For this, we should place the peeled potatoes in the bowl. And after keeping them in the bowl, enough water is added so that these potatoes get submerged in water. The water will act as a barrier between potatoes and air and will help stop the oxidizing reaction.
Olive oil can also be used to fix oxidized potatoes. For this purpose, potatoes are soaked in olive oil so that they may not turn black.
Benefits of eating potatoes
Potatoes are available throughout the world. They have many health benefits due to which they are very common everywhere. Here are some benefits of eating potatoes:
- Fighting against diseases: Potatoes are very rich in fibre, vitamins, nutrients, and phytochemicals. Due to which they are a potential agent to keep us away from a lot of diseases.
- Bone health: Potatoes help in maintaining bone health as they consist of iron, phosphorus, calcium, and zinc.
- Heart health: The combination of the appropriate amount of vitamin C, vitamin B6 content, and a low amount of cholesterol make potato a very promising food to help in the maintenance of heart health.
- Inflammation: Choline present in potatoes is a very versatile nutrient that is crucial for muscle movement, memory, and learning.
- Aid in digestion: The nutrient content of potatoes helps in protecting us from constipation by keeping the digestive system smooth.
Nutrient contents of potatoes
Following are the nutrients that are present in potatoes
- Vitamin B6
Disadvantages of eating potatoes
Although potatoes are very healthy to eat and they contain many nutrients, we must not forget that there are also some drawbacks to eating potatoes. Some of these drawbacks are as follow
- Bloating issues: As potatoes are high in starch so they may cause bloating issues when they are eaten in high quantities.
- Body colour can turn orange: As the quantity of beta carotene is high in sweet potatoes so it can turn your normal colour into orange.
- Weight gain: Carb-rich potatoes are very efficient in increasing weight. So it is not the best option for diet-conscious people.
- Increase in sugar level: Potatoes can spike the sugar level of our body. Because potatoes are medium-high on the GI index.
In this brief article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can we eat black potatoes?” with an in-depth analysis of whether eating black potatoes is good for health or not, the black pattern of potatoes, how can potatoes be prevented from turning black? health benefits and some drawbacks of eating potatoes.