Can sweet potatoes be cut ahead of time?
In this article, we will answer the question “Can sweet potatoes be cut ahead of time?”, and what are the 9 mistakes you might be making with sweet potatoes?
Can sweet potatoes be cut ahead of time?
Yes, you can cut sweet potatoes one or two nights before you want to use them in a dish. The key is to submerge them in cold water and store them in the refrigerator. If you do not do so, they will not retain their taste and will dry out quickly.
How to peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes?
- First of all, wash your sweet potatoes thoroughly with water to get rid of all the debris. A light scrub is recommended to remove the stuck-on dirt.
- Use the peeler or a small knife to remove the sweet potato skin.
- Place the peeled sweet potato onto a cutting board. Hold it with the help of your non-dominant hand such that your fingers are slightly curled towards your palm.
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes of desirable size using your dominant hand. It is recommended to cut the edges of the potato to make it into a rectangular shape which is easier to work with.
- Make 2-3 equidistant cuts into this rectangular-shaped sweet potato, lengthwise. Make an equal number of parallel cuts perpendicular to these cuts to make cubes.
Mistakes you might be making with sweet potatoes
Buying defective sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes with cuts, bruises, blemishes, and gouges are a big no, especially If you intend to make whole-baked sweet potatoes.
If you have already bought the bad sweet potatoes, you can cut out the damaged part and cut the rest of the potatoes into cubes to be used as a side dish.
Storing them in the fridge
The temperature of the fridge is too cold for the sweet potatoes. They will end up becoming hard from the core. The best way to store sweet potatoes is to keep them in a cool, dark, and dry place.
Skipping the washing step
Sweet potato is a root and grows underground. It, sure, has a lot of dirt and debris which ought to be removed with thorough washing. A firm scrub using a vegetable brush is better to get all the dirt off the surface.
Peeling the skin
The skin of the sweet potato is not only nutritious but also helps cook the sweet potato to a soft texture. Besides, It is edible and does not have a distinct taste.
Boiling them for sweet potato pie
Boiling or steaming the sweet potatoes for making pie will make them watery and dilute the sweetness. Your best bet is to bake the sweet potatoes. This will also help concentrate the flavor.
Baking them without poking holes in the skin
By poking holes in the potato, you are allowing the steam to escape that builds up during baking. This will prevent your potato from exploding and creating a mess in the oven.
Not checking If the potato is cooked
An undercooked sweet potato is hard and crunchy and nobody likes that. The cooking time of the sweet potato varies with the size and thickness.
After 45 minutes of cooking/boiling or baking, prick the potato to check If It is cooked.
Using the microwave to cook sweet potatoes
Baking sweet potatoes are very time-consuming. This might tempt you into microwaving sweet potatoes which only take about 5 minutes.
But there is a huge difference in the quality and texture of the finished product. Sweet potato cooked in the microwave will be extremely mushy in some areas while being hard in others.
Your best bet is to cook the sweet potatoes at once in the oven and store them in the fridge for later use.
Other FAQs about Potatoes which you may be interested in.
How to freeze store cut sweet potatoes?
1 portion cut sweet potato
- Peel and cut the sweet potato.
- Pour water into a saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Blach the peeled and cut sweet potatoes into the boiling water for 2-3 minutes (depending upon the size and thickness of your sweet potato).
- Transfer the blanched potato into ice-cold water to halt the cooking process. Keep it submerged for 2-3 minutes.
- Portion the blanched sweet potato and toss it into a freezer bag. Label the bag and chuck it in the freezer. Use within 6 months of freezing.
In this article, we answered the question “Can sweet potatoes be cut ahead of time?”, and what are the 9 mistakes you might be making with sweet potatoes?