In this article, we will answer the question “Can rice vinegar go bad?”, and how to store rice vinegar?
Can rice vinegar go bad?
Yes, Rice vinegar can go bad. It is a shelf-stable product. Its acidic nature makes it last quite long unless you help it becoming contaminated. However, It will lose its strength and flavor over time.
How long does rice vinegar last?
Rice vinegar is mildly sweet and less acidic than its other counterparts. The bottle comes with a ‘Best-by’ date. This gives you a rough estimate of how long will the rice vinegar keep its prime quality.
If stored correctly, rice vinegar will stay fresh years after its ‘Best-by’ date. Due to less acidity, rice vinegar has a shorter shelf-life of about 5 years. To keep it around for more than 5 years, It is best to keep It in the fridge.
To avoid the problem of having to store rice vinegar, you should always buy a small bottle. The following table shows an estimated shelf-life of different types of vinegar including rice vinegar.
|For best quality||Safe and usable|
|Distilled White Vinegar||Indefinitely||Indefinitely|
|Apple Cider Vinegar||5 years||Indefinitely|
|Red and White Wine Vinegar||2 years||Indefinitely|
|Balsamic Vinegar||2-3 years||Indefinitely|
|Rice Vinegar||2 years||Indefinitely|
How to tell If rice vinegar is bad?
- The rice vinegar may originally be clear, white, pale yellow, red, or brown in color. Each vinegar with a different color has a different flavor profile.
If you remember the original color of the rice vinegar, you will be able to tell the alteration in the color which is an obvious indication of spoilage.
- If there is something off about the taste and smell of vinegar, you better throw it in the bin. The reduction of acidity is the result of exposure to air. With reduced acidity, rice vinegar won’t taste the same. But It will be safe to consume.
- If the rice vinegar has been sitting in a place for too long, you will notice white sediment forming at the bottom of the bottle. This is the Mother Vinegar and is completely safe to consume.it might look gross but it can be used. You can also filter it using coffee filters.
Other FAQs about Vinegar which you may be interested in.
How to store rice vinegar?
Rice vinegar should be stored the same way as balsamic vinegar or red wine. The rule of thumb is to store the rice vinegar in a cool and dark place away from direct sunlight and other heat sources like the stove. The pantry is your best bet. However, a kitchen cabinet is also a good choice.
Always store the rice vinegar in a glass, stainless steel, wood, or food-garde plastic container. Metal storage containers like brass, copper, aluminum, or iron are a bad choice to keep vinegar.
After opening the bottle of the rice vinegar, It should always stay tightly closed when not in use. Some manufacturers will suggest keeping the bottle of rice vinegar in the fridge after opening.
Others will suggest keeping it at room temperature. In this case, you must read the manufacturer’s instructions on the storage.
Freezing is not required for storing rice vinegar. Freezing temperatures will weaken the acidity of the rice vinegar because of the freeze and thaw cycle. However, If you chose to freeze It anyways, make sure the storage container is not made of glass for It breaks at freezing temperatures.
What is rice vinegar?
Vinegar is an aqueous solution of Acetic Acid comprising about 5-20% of the total volume. The acetic acid is produced as a result of sugar fermentation and ethanol oxidation by the bacteria Acetobacter.
Vinegar has different types including Balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or rice vinegar, etc. rice vinegar is produced as a result of the controlled fermentaion of rice water.
Rice vinegar is widely used for barbecuing ribs, in salad dressing, and even in the making of sushi rice.
What are the benefits of rice vinegar?
- The acetic acid present in rice vinegar has been found to prevent and control hypertension.
- A daily dose of 750mg of acetic acid which equates to 15mL of vinegar decreases the systolic blood pressure of adults with prehypertension and hypertension.
- Some amino acids and other active ingredients present in rice vinegar speed up metabolism and prevent fatigue.
- According to research in China, rice vinegar has been found to prevent esophageal cancer.
- In Japan, rice vinegar has been used as a Liver tonic for a long period of time. It works synergistically to support the detoxifying function of the liver.
In this article, we answered the question “Can rice vinegar go bad?”, and how to store rice vinegar?