In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Can Keflex cause a yeast infection?” tips to reduce the occurrence of yeast infection and information on probiotics as well as prebiotics.
Can Keflex cause a yeast infection?
Yes, Keflex can cause yeast infection. This is because Keflex is an antibiotic that reduces infections caused by bacteria. Bad bacteria can cause infections whereas good bacteria protect our body.
When an antibiotic is consumed, both the good and bad bacteria would be destroyed. As the good bacteria is destroyed, our body becomes more vulnerable to develop infections.
Yeast infections can be particularly observed in the vagina caused by the fungus candida. Yeast infection can particularly affect the vulva and vagina.
Lactobacillus is a bacteria present in the vagina. Lactobacillus makes the vagina acidic. When antibiotics like Keflex are consumed, good bacteria like Lactobacillus are destroyed which makes the vagina prone to yeast infection.
What exactly is Keflex?
Keflex is an antibiotic that is used to treat infections primarily caused by bacteria. This medication might not be as effective against viral infections. It can be usually be consumed by tablets or in the form of suspension.
How can you reduce the occurrence of yeast infection while consuming Keflex?
- If you observe signs of yeast infection or develop yeast infection every time you consume an antibiotic, it would be better to consult a doctor. An antifungal pill might be prescribed to help you counter the yeast infection.
- Antifungal cream might also be prescribed to you to deal with the yeast infection. Antifungal agents can help in protecting the good bacteria and keep the yeast infection away.
- Use an antifungal agent at the same time when you start using the antibiotics to reduce the occurrence of yeast infection. You can also start consuming antifungal agents in between the course of consuming antibiotics as well.
- Consuming probiotics is a good way to help increase the growth of good bacteria in your body. This is an ideal technique to preserve good bacteria in your body as it does not require any prescription from a doctor.
You can use probiotic supplements or obtain it naturally from food.
- You can consume yogurt to help increase the growth of good bacteria. A little bit of yogurt can also be applied to the area of the vagina where you might be experiencing itching or uneasiness.
Remember to use yogurt that contains live cultures and avoid using the sweetened or flavored varieties.
- Avoid using antibiotics if you do not require them. It would be better to obtain a doctor’s prescription before deciding to use an antibiotic.
- Do not wear wet clothes or stay in wet clothes like bath suits for long as yeast thrives in areas with moisture.
- Avoid having frequent warm baths or stay in tubs containing warm water for long. This is because yeast is likely to multiply rapidly in a warm atmosphere.
- Opt for innerwear made out of cotton. This helps your skin breathe and prevents you from sweating a lot. Sweating leads to an increase in moisture levels that can attract yeast.
- Avoid using vaginal deodorants, sprays, tampons, or scented pads as it can irritate the vagina.
- It is better to keep your glucose levels in check. High glucose levels can attract yeast.
- Avoid using vaginal douching products as it can significantly alter the pH levels of the vagina.
What are probiotics and prebiotics?
Probiotics are live bacteria that can help in promoting the growth of good bacteria and get rid of the bad bacteria. Probiotics can help in improving your immunity by fighting off infections and aid in digestion.
Fermented foods and drinks are a good source of probiotics. Fermented foods would include yogurt, tempeh, sourdough bread, or pickled vegetables like sauerkraut. Fermented beverages would include kefir, buttermilk, miso soup, or kombucha.
Prebiotics are compounds that are present in food that aid in digestion. Prebiotics act as food for the live culture and aids the good bacteria to multiply.
Prebiotics are found in artichokes, apples, garlic, bananas, chicory, barley, tomatoes, wheat, green vegetables, leek, asparagus, and onions. Certain food products are fortified with prebiotics. This might include bread, cereals, yogurt, or cookies.
In order to search for prebiotics in fortified products, you would have to search from some words namely galactooligosaccharides, inulin, chicory fiber, Fructooligosaccharides, and oligofructose.
As a result, consuming probiotics and prebiotics can both aid in the development of good bacteria and reduce the severity of the yeast infection.
Other FAQs on antibiotics that you might be interested in.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Can Keflex cause a yeast infection?” tips to reduce the occurrence of yeast infection and information on probiotics as well as prebiotics.