In this article, we will answer the question “Can I steam Christmas pudding in two sessions?”, and how to cook Christmas pudding in a microwave?
Can I steam Christmas pudding in two sessions?
Yes, you can steam Christmas pudding in two sessions. After the first steaming session that lasts about 4-5 hours, store the pudding in the fridge for 3 months or in the freezer for up to a year. Before serving, steam the pudding again until piping hot all the way through.
How to reheat Christmas pudding in the microwave?
Microwave is the quickest way to reheat your steamed chocolate pudding. To reheat slices, microwave each slice for 1 minute on high.
To reheat a full pudding, microwave on high for about 3 minutes. Let the pudding rest for about 2 minutes. Microwave on high in 1-2 minute blasts until the pudding is heated through.
How to make Christmas pudding in the microwave?
How to cook Christmas pudding in a microwave?
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½oz/213g) currants
- ¾ cup (3 ¾oz /106g) raisins
- ¾ cup (3 ¾oz /106g) sultanas
- ⅓ cup (1 ½oz/43g) mixed peel
- ⅓ cup (1 ½oz/43g) cherries, halved
- 2 cups (16floz/450ml) hot water
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) butter
- ½ cup (2 ½oz/71g) self-raising flour
- ¼ cup (1oz/28g) almond meal
- 2 cups (6oz/170g) dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice/pumpkin spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups (4oz/115g) white bread crumbs
- 1 orange zest
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons treacle/ molasses
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- ½ cup (4floz/115ml) Guinness
- Grease a 2 liter (medium-sized) pudding bowl using butter and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine currants, raisins, sultanas, mixed peel, and cherries. Then stir in the hot water. Wrap the bowl with a cling sheet and leave for at least 2 hours or overnight at room temperature. Strain the plumed up fruits and set them aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add self-rasing flour, almond meal, sugar, breadcrumbs, spices, zests, and prepared fruit. Mix until homogenous.
- Then stir in the butter, eggs, treacle, brandy, and Guinness. Stir to combine.
- Tip the bowl into the greased or buttered bowl. Loosely wrap with cling sheet.
- Microwave on medium-low power (30% – 1200w) for 14-16 minutes or until the pudding is dry on the surface and firm to the touch.
- Let the pudding rest for about 15 minutes before taking it out of the bowl.
- Serve with brandy butter, custard, and cream or ice cream.
How to store Christmas pudding once cooked?
Things you’ll need
- Brandy, whiskey, or another spirit
- Plastic wrap
- Aluminum foil
- Soak your freshly cooked and cooled plum pudding in brandy or another spirit. Do not soak the pudding until it the brandy starts to drip from it. Add enough amount so that the plum pudding softens.
- Wrap the plum pudding in plastic and then in aluminum foil. Keep the wrapped plum pudding somewhere dark, dry, and cool. A cellar or a cabinet is a good storage place for the pudding.
- Pour little amounts of brandy or another alcohol in your pudding after wrapping it every week or two. Do not add too much spirit or else the pudding will not be able to hold its shape and become flammable. After every feeding, rewrap the pudding and return it to its storage place.
Can you freeze Christmas pudding?
Store-bought Christmas pudding is safe to freeze. The same goes for homemade Christmas pudding unless you want to store them in a cool and dry place to allow the flavors to mature.
How to freeze a Christmas pudding?
Cut the Christmas pudding into manageable portions or keep it whole. Wrap the pieces or whole pudding in multiple layers of foil. For added protection, add a ziplock freezer bag. Label the bag and freeze.
Does the Christmas pudding go bad?
Yes, Christmas pudding can go bad and quicker if stored incorrectly. A Christmas pudding made with fresh fruits and no booze goes bad quicker than the one made with booze, a lot of sugar, and, dried fruits.
In this article, we answered the question “Can I steam Christmas pudding in two sessions?”, and how to cook Christmas pudding in a microwave?