In this article we will answer the question “Can I make box brownies without egg?”, show you how to make eggless brownies and the substitutes for eggs in brownies without compromising on taste.
Can I make box brownies without eggs?
Yes, you can make box brownies without eggs and these eggless brownies taste just as delicious as the regular brownies. If you are too lazy to go grocery and buy eggs to make your comfort food, or If you are a vegan or have vegan friends and you want to treat them with home-baked brownies, then don’t worry, we got your back.
Here is everything you need to know as to why eggs are used in baking and what is the substitute or recipe to make eggless gooey and fudgy brownies.
Why do we add eggs in brownies?
- Nutritive value
Eggs have a rich nutritional profile. Yolk and white of the egg provide fat and protein to any baked good, enhancing its nutritive value.
Eggs are 75% water, hence they are used to lubricate the dry ingredients of the brownie mix, or else the brownies will come out too dried out and crumbly.
- Binding agent
Eggs bind everything together creating a thick desirable consistency of the brownie batter.
If you like your brownies a little cakey then you can beat the egg to include air into the mixture. This aeration makes your brownies light and fluffy increases the Volume and contributes to the overall structural integrity of your brownie.
The egg is an excellent emulsifier. It emulsifies fat to create a nice and uniform batter to prevent the fats from separating.
What are the possible egg substitutes?
Eggs can be replaced with different ingredients present at home if you are not buying commercially produced egg alternatives from the market. There are plenty of replacements for egg in a brownie, which highly depends on the function the egg will perform in your batter.
Alternatives to an egg when using as a Leavening agent
- You can use ¼ cup or 60g of buttermilk/yogurt to keep your brownies moist and light.
- Use the soda mix. To make a soda mix, take 1Tbsp white vinegar/Apple cider vinegar and 1tsp baking soda
Alternatives to an egg when used to moisten the dry mix
- Use ¼ cup of mashed/pureed fruits like dates, bananas, or raisins to replace each egg.
- Use three tablespoons of nut butter of your choice It could be either almond, peanut, or cashew butter.
- Use ¼ cup of soda water as a replacement for each egg.
Alternatives to an egg when used as a binder
- Arrowroot powder performs the same function as cornstarch.
- ¼ cup of Silken tofu and pureed veggies can also be used.
- Using flax seed powder to make “Flax” eggs has become the go-to choice for many vegans. Take 1Tbsp of the flax powder and add in 3 Tbsp of water. Let it stay for 20 minutes and use it in your brownie mix.
- Use ¼ cup of corn oil or sunflower oil to replace 1 egg. This method should be used when replacing one egg only or else you will end up making your brownie very greasy and calorie-dense.
Eggless brownie recipe
Ingredients to make eggless box brownies are as follows
- 1 packet of Brownie Mix
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water
- 1/2Tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Empty the brownie mix and add in all the ingredients. Mix it well. Now fold in the walnuts into the batter gently.
- Grease an 8 by 8 pan using a brush.Line with parchment paper. Add the batter and bake as per instructions on the packet. It usually takes 35 to 50 minutes on average to bake.
- Enjoy your gooey eggless vegan brownies. Place a scoop of ice cream on top If you like.
Why use egg alternatives?
There could be a number of reasons why someone chooses to go egg-free:
- Eggless baked goods are a healthier and a cheaper option
- You are mindful of the environment and want to make conscious choices in terms of your diet.
- You are calorie conscious but want to satisfy your sweet tooth by eating your comfort food.
Whatever the reason may be, eggless brownies or any baked item tastes as good as a regular baked product.
In this article we will answer this question “Can I make box brownies without egg?”, show you how to make eggless brownies and the substitutes for eggs in brownies without compromising on taste.