In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can I freeze sweet potatoes?” We will also discuss how you can store your sweet potatoes to last longer, signs of spoilage, and their nutritional value.
Can I freeze sweet potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze sweet potatoes. The versatile sweet potatoes can be used in several recipes and can be found all year round. So, if you have just bought a bunch of these ingredients, you can store them in the freezer for up to 12 months!
The way sweet potatoes are stored will affect their shelf lives, so if you want to preserve them for a longer period, keep reading to find out how to keep the veggie’s integrity for up to a whole year.
How to freeze sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes can be frozen in 3 different ways depending on the dishes you will prepare with them, you can either freeze them in cubes or wedges, like fries and mashed. But how is it done?
Remember that it is important to wash thoroughly any type of veggie before using it. For sweet potatoes, you can even use a spud brush to scrub them.
How to freeze sweet potato cubes?
After washing your sweet potatoes, you need to
- Cut the veggies into cubes, and try to assure that the sizes are consistent for an easier cooking process.
- Blanch the cubes, which means you need to add them to boiling water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After blanched, add the cubes into an ice bath to avoid overcooking.
- Let them cool and with the help of a paper towel, dry them.
- Place them over a baking sheet, and let them freeze for 4 hours or until they are frozen solid.
- Once frozen, take them out to place them in a freezer bag, store them and thaw when needed.
How to freeze sweet potato fries?
Freezing sweet potato fries is an easy process, all you need to do is to
- Cut the veggies into fries.
- Blanch them in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After blanched, put them into a bowl with ice-cold water. Dry them with a paper towel.
- Place them over a baking sheet, and flash freeze them for about 2 hours.
- Once frozen, take them out and place them inside a freezer bag. Take them to the freezer, and that is it!
How can you freeze mashed sweet potatoes?
- First, peel and cut the veggies into tiny cubes. Let them boil, and after this, cook them as you prefer, use seasonings, cream, or whatever you like!
- Mash the boiled cubes.
- To freeze mashed sweet potatoes, you can use a freezer bag or an ice cube tray, choose whichever you want.
How long do sweet potatoes last?
Depending on the way you store sweet potatoes, their shelf life can vary. If you let them in the pantry, uncooked sweet potatoes can last for up to 1 to 2 months. If you bought them canned, they can last up to a year!
How to store sweet potatoes?
If you have uncooked and uncut sweet potatoes, you can easily store them in the pantry, you just need to make sure they are not in contact with any sources of heat and humidity. This way, they can last for up to 1 to 2 months.
When you have cooked sweet potatoes, it is recommended to keep them in the fridge in an airtight container. This way, they can last for a week or so.
What signs indicate sweet potatoes have gone bad?
Your senses will tell you when any food is no longer available for your consumption, and sweet potatoes are not the exception. If you notice any of the following signs, it is better to throw them away.
- Mushy texture.
- Change of color, rotten sweet potatoes will have a brownish coloration.
- Strange growths through the skin.
- Mold growth.
- Off smell.
What dishes can you prepare with sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are very versatile and can be used to prepare several dishes, such as
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes are a good source of several nutrients, like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Because of this, these veggies have been associated with several health benefits. The nutrition facts about these veggies will be listed below.
|Nutrition facts about 100 g of sweet potatoes|
If you want further guidance on this subject, please click here.
Other FAQs about Sweet Potatoes that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “can I freeze sweet potatoes?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.