In this brief guide, we will address the query, “can I freeze corn tortillas?” We will also discuss how you can store your corn tortillas to last longer, the best way to use them, and the best method to freeze them.
Can I freeze corn tortillas?
Yes, you can freeze corn tortillas. Freezing tortillas is a method that can enlarge their shelf life, but it can cause them to become soggy after thawing. It is recommended to only freeze tortillas when you will either toast them or fry them after.
The bad thing about freezing corn tortillas is that food takes on water which it absorbs as it defrosts. This mechanism also can alter some features of corn tortillas, such as the texture, consistency, and taste.
How can you freeze corn tortillas?
Although freezing can enlarge the shelf life of corn tortillas, you do need to attend to several steps that will guarantee the best result. The steps that you need to follow are
- First, corn tortillas come in a stack, it is not recommendable to freeze them all together because you would not be capable of breaking them off with just one or two. To avoid this, you can’t use parchment paper to separate each piece.
- You need to take care of the way tortillas are placed in the freezer. If tortillas are folded or uneven, they can freeze in strange forms and they will not go back to their original shape.
- Once you have arranged corn tortillas, you can place them in the freezer. Remember they will only last for up to 8 months.
What is the proper way of defrosting corn tortillas?
Once you have your frozen tortillas, when needed you need to defrost them. Defrosting might be one of the most difficult sides of freezing food, as thawing can severely damage the quality of tortillas.
You can defrost tortillas in different ways, which will be described in the following chart.
|Defrosting corn tortillas|
|On the countertop||In the microwave||On the stovetop||In the oven|
It is not recommended to thaw food at room temperature, because they will quickly spoil.
Using the microwave is a quicker method, as it only takes you about 1 minute.
It might take longer to defrost tortillas but you can end with an interesting texture and taste.
You will reheat tortillas more directly and evenly. They will not only be heated but cooked.
How long do corn tortillas last?
Both corn and flour tortillas can be stored in the refrigerator, which will ensure a shelf life that lasts for about a month. However, freezing can enlarge the shelf life of tortillas for up to 6 to 8 months.
The most important thing about freezing tortillas is that they need to be kept in an airtight container, the air needs to be squeezed out, and it can be finally sealed. Remember to check the section “how can you freeze corn tortillas?” described above.
Can you freeze tortilla dough?
Yes, you can freeze tortilla dough. Nevertheless, you need to attend to several steps, such as
- Shape the dough into golf-ball-sized round balls. It is not recommended to freeze large blocks of tortilla dough, it just won’t freeze well.
- Now, place the balls on a baking sheet, then cover them and submit them to a quick freeze.
- Once frozen, you need to wrap each ball in a cling film, so you can now store them in the freezer inside a freezer bag.
Note that it is not recommended to refrigerate the dough when it has been freshly done. If you use plastic to wrap them, you can enlarge their shelf life for up to 3 months.
What dishes can you prepare with corn tortillas?
Corn tortillas can be prepared quickly, and they also have a wide variety of uses. Can you believe that to prepare homemade corn tortillas, you will only need masa harina corn flour and water? It is common to use a tortilla press, and a hot plate.
If you have recently purchased some extra corn tortillas, you will need some ideas to use all those ingredients, fortunately for you, there are several options, such as
- Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Bake
What is the origin of corn tortillas?
Corn tortillas are a staple in Mexican cuisine, as they can be used to prepare a wide variety of dishes, such as
Tortillas are not more than a thin flatbread made from dried corn and are a delicious food that can provide you with several nutrients. If you want further guidance on this subject, please click here.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “can I freeze corn tortillas?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.