In this article, we are going to discuss and answer the question “Can I eat papaya on keto?”. I will also discuss papaya nutritional information, and the difference between fresh, ripe, and unripe papayas. I will also add some fruits that are low in carbs. In addition, I will add the benefits of papaya seeds for your health.
Can I eat papaya on keto?
No, you cannot eat papaya while sticking to your keto diet. Tropical fruits generally are high in carbs. Small papaya weighing 157 grams contains 17 grams of carbs.
What is the keto diet?
The keto diet is a diet to put it simply, low in carbs. It is high in proteins and fat. It limits carbs to 5-10% of carbs only. The purpose of the keto diet is to switch the burning process.
Burning fat instead of carbs. This happens when you limit your carbs amount to 15-20 grams per day. This makes your body burn fats for energy instead of carbs. This way you gradually lose weight.
What is papaya?
Papaya is a type of tropical fruit originating from Central America and southern Mexico. It has orange flesh and black seeds.
Despite the papaya having high carb content, the seeds, however, can be consumed and have benefits.
What is the nutritional information of papayas?
Papayas contain high levels of carbs. They are low in fat and protein. This makes them not so ideal for your keto diet.
|Total fat||0.26 grams|
|Dietary fiber||1.7 grams|
|Vitamin C, ascorbic acid||60.9 milligrams|
|Vitamin A||47 µg|
What is the difference between fermented and raw papaya?
There is a difference between fermented and raw papaya. Raw papaya called Atchara is less in carbs. 50 grams of green fermented papaya contains 6 grams of net carbs.
The difference in carbs content is due to the bacteria that use the sugar in the papaya for energy. As a result, the bacteria using the sugars decrease the level of sugars in the papaya.
What fruits can I eat on keto?
Some fruits have high carbs content. Some have high carbs content, while others have low carbs content.
To keep up with your carbs count, you should just pick fruits that are low in carbs. Watching your carb limits is also needed.
You do not want to waste your hard work while on keto for papaya. Remember your weight loss goals.
Here are some low carbs fruits:
- Avocados are low in carbs. Just half a cup of avocado contains 3 grams of net carbs. This is a good alternative that can be incorporated into your meals.
- Blackberries are low in carbs. Just half a cup contains 3 grams of net carbs. They are a great source of Vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium.
- Star fruit is low in carbs as well. A cup of star fruit contains 5 grams of carbs. It is rich in vitamin C and potassium.
What is the difference between fresh, dried, and unripe papayas?
|Fresh papaya||Dried papaya||Unripe papaya|
|14.5 net carbs on 145 grams serving||33 grams of net carbs in a 40 grams serving||10 grams of carbs in a 100 grams serving|
What about Papaya seeds?
The good news is you can have papaya seeds on your keto diet. Papaya seeds have no carbs, fat, or protein content. These seeds are good for your keto diet since they do not add to your carb balance.
What are the benefits of papaya seeds?
Papayas have health benefits and so do their seeds.
- Papaya seeds are highly nutritious and filled with antioxidants (polyphenols and flavonoids). These antioxidants remove free radicals.
- Another benefit is that they provide a high amount of fiber content. Fiber can be beneficial in improving your health by reducing blood pressure.
- These seeds fight bacteria and fungi.
- It improves intestine health by relieving hemorrhoids or inflammatory bowel disease.
In this article, we discussed and answered the question “Can I eat papaya on keto?”. I also discussed papaya nutritional information, and the difference between fresh, ripe, and unripe papayas. I l also added some fruits that are low in carbs. In addition, I added the benefits of papaya seeds for your health.