In this article, we are going to discuss and answer the question” can I eat Menudo on keto?”. I will include the nutritional value of Menudo soup and the ingredients. I will also explain about hominy. I will also include some alternatives.
Can I eat Menudo on keto?
No, you can not eat Menudo on keto. Despite having a high protein content of 13 grams per cup, it has almost an equal amount of carbs of 15 grams.
The high carbs content could put you out of ketosis. With a limit of 15-30 grams of carbs a day, you would be spending all your carbs content on soup.
The good news is that there are some alternatives to the Menudo soup in this article that you can try.
What is Menudo soup?
Menudo is a Mexican soup made from the tripe of the cow’s stomach. It is eaten at a traditional celebration or family gathering. Sometimes it is used if you have a hangover.
There are some alternatives you can go for minus the carbs in them. There are corn products in the traditional Menudo soup that are not keto friendly.
What are the ingredients of Menudo?
Janita’s Menudo contains the many ingredients some of them are:
- Beef Broth: keto-friendly no carbs
- Beef Bone Stock contains 2 grams in 240 ml
- Chile Peppers contains 1 gram per piece
- Dextrose: contains 4 grams of carbs in one teaspoon
- Onion Powder contains 4 grams per teaspoon
- Celery Powder contains 1 gram per scoop
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein contains 1.5 grams per scoop
- Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten: contains 7.3 grams in one teaspoon
- Partially Hydrogenated Soy no carbs
- Cottonseed Oil no carbs
- Sugar contains 4.2 grams in one teaspoon
- Soybean Oil no carbs
- Garlic Powder contains 5.4 grams per tablespoon
- Beef Tripe contains 3 grams of carbs in one serving
- Hominy (corn product) contains 1.2 grams per tablespoon
I showed you some of the ingredients with their net carbs content. This shows so many ingredients with the carbs content.
What about Juanita’s Menudo without hominy?
There is another option for Mendo lovers on the keto diet out there. Janita Menudo without hominy is low in carbs.
It has 2 grams of net carbs per serving in 227 grams only. Harmony is a corn product and this option does not have hominy in it.
What can replace hominy with?
The white balls in the soup are made from corn and you can replace them with low carbs and vegetables. It can have a similar texture to it as well.
It depends on what you love or prefer. One cup of hominy contains so many carbs. It averages about 42 grams of net carbs per cup.
Some of these vegetables include:
What is the nutritional information about Menudo?
Menudo is a Mexican dish that can be prepared at home or you can buy it at a traditional Mexican restaurant. The nutritional value in one cup weighing 236 grams is as follows:
|Total fat||3.99 grams|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||0 grams|
|Vitamin A||300 IU|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||1.51 grams|
|Trans fat||0 grams|
Is Menudo considered healthy?
Menudo is rich in protein, zinc, selenium, B12, and zinc. The high protein content promotes satiety and thus you feel less hungry.
However, it is high in sodium, especially canned Menudo. Extra salt consumption is not beneficial to your health and would lead to some health conditions like high blood pressure.
What are some alternatives to Menudo?
- Kettle & Fire Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth contains 0 grams of net carbs.
- Wild Zora Instant Mushroom Beef Keto Soup contains 5 grams of carbs
- Kiss My Keto Spicy Beef Bone Broth contains 2 grams of carbs
- Amy’s Organic Chunky Vegetable Soup contains 5 grams of carbs
You can read more about the description, nutrition content of these four soups here.
In this article, we discussed and answered the question “can I eat Menudo on keto?”. I included the nutritional value of Menudo soup and the ingredients. I also explained about hominy. I also included some alternatives.