In this article, we will answer the question “Can I eat cucumber skin?”, and what are some vegetables that do not need to be peeled before eating?
Can I eat cucumber skin?
Yes, you can eat cucumber with its peel. Cucumber belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae, the same family of pumpkin, gourds, and zucchini. Cucumber is very crisp to eat due to the high levels of moisture. They taste mildly sweet but sometimes bitter.
Eating cucumber with its feel might taste bitter but the bitter unpleasant taste loses its importance when you realize the abundant nutrients it holds.
Read on if you want to know the health benefits and risks of eating cucumbers with the peel.
Vegetables you should eat with the peel
Carrots are a good source of carotene and other phenolic compounds and should be eaten whole without peeling the skin to reap all the nutrients. Carrots promote healthy eyesight and protect against cancer and CVD.
Beets are rich in phytonutrients called betalains, betanin, and vulgaxanthin and should be eaten with the peel. Bake some beets with your favorite seasoning and make them a part of your meals.
Eggplant has an attractive peel that is rich in a strong anti-oxidant nasunin and a flavonoid called anthocyanin. Bake or roast the eggplants with the peel.
The skin of red potatoes is rich in fiber, iron, potassium, and ascorbic acid. Use your favorite seasonings to roast, grill, steam, boil or bake red potatoes with their peels intact. Make them a part of your meals.
Health benefits of eating cucumber
Cucumbers are packed with nutrients. 1 300g cucumber provides about 14% of the RDI for vitamin C and 13% of the RDI for potassium. Cucumbers have zero fat and only 45 calories. A cucumber(300g) provides 2g of proteins.
Rich in anti-oxidants
The flavonoids and tannins present in cucumber have excellent anti-oxidant properties. Anti-oxidants prevent cellular damage from oxidative stress and prevent premature aging and heart diseases.
Hydrates the body
Cucumber is made up of about 96% water. Water is important for homeostasis. From metabolism and nutrient absorption to waste elimination, water performs a crucial role.
Helps weight loss
Cucumber has fewer calories. 300g of cucumber provides only 45 calories. The fiber and water help you feel full for longer and regulate hunger patterns. All of these factors contribute to weight loss. You can add cucumber to your salads, sandwiches, make pickles,s or use them as side dishes for a low-calorie diet.
Lowers blood sugar
Cucumbers have been found to regulate blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes. It is the perfect vegetable choice for diabetics.
Helps with digestion
Cucumbers have a high content of water and dietary water, both of which promote a healthy digestive system and prevent constipation.
A cucumber provides about 62% of the RDI for vitamin K. vitamin K is extremely important for bone health.it reduces fracture rates, enhances bone density by working synergistically with vitamin D, and helps balance the amount of calcium in bones.
Risks of eating cucumber
There are only two risks associated with the consumption of cucumbers
- The high pesticide spray on cucumbers. Long term exposure to pesticides has been linked with certain health risks. However, it is important that you wash the cucumber properly or cook them to neutralize the effects of the pesticides.
- The second risk is the wax that is applied to cucumber skin. This wax is of organic source if the cucumbers are organically grown. However, it does not mean the conventionally grown cucumbers are unsafe to eat.
Eating a balanced diet is key.
How to add cucumber to your diet?
- Add cucumber to your salad bowls. Cucumbers pair well with other vegetables like zucchinis and carrots. Sprinkle with your favorite spices and enjoy.
- Make cucumber boats by removing some of the flesh. Stuff it will your favorite fillings like feta cheese, tuna salads, hummus, etc.
- Add cucumbers to your smoothies. They have a very refreshing effect due to the high water content and add a pleasant green color to your smoothies.
- Make cucumber soup.
- With the help of a vegetable peeler or a mandolin, slice the cucumbers into thin rolls. Stuff the rolls with your favorite fillings. For the filling, apple pairs well booth with frittata cheese or hummus.
- Pickle cucumbers. Use vegetables like bell papers, tomatoes, or scallions. Add your favorite spices and herbs like thyme and parsley. Serve the pickle with steak, rice bowls, or eat as it is.
In this article, we answered the question “Can I eat cucumber skin?”, and what are some vegetables that do not need to be peeled before eating?