In this article, we will answer “Can I clean the dishwasher with bleach”.
The idea of washing the dishwasher seems quite tiring and unusual. Since it goes through the same process of cleaning other utensils every day. But have you ever come across the bad odor, mildew, and molds stick around your dishwasher?
You might have heard about many ways of cleaning the dishwasher. But what proves to be the right way of cleaning a dishwasher? Here, we will share different tips to bring ease to your life while cleaning the dishwasher. Now, the first question which arises in mind is.
Can I clean my dishwasher with bleach
Cleaning the dishwasher with bleach can be a good idea since it will disinfect the germs, bad smell mildew, insects like roaches, and molds gathering over time. However, you need to take safety precautions while cleaning your dishwasher with bleach.
Mainly, there are two ways to clean your dishwasher with bleach. You can either make a spray solution to hand-clean your dishwasher, or you can run a cycle with bleach in the dishwasher. No matter what method you want to adopt, each of them is equally effective to clean your dishwasher.
Cleaning the dishwasher with bleach manually
Cleaning the dishwasher manually requires extra care and effort. However, it is worth doing it. Here are a few steps, which can help you to clean your dishwasher effectively without any hassle.
- Wear rubber gloves and a face mask, before handling with bleach.
- Take proper safety precautions and avoid mixing bleach with any other household cleaning products.
- Fill up the spray bottle with lukewarm water. Make sure, don’t use hot water as when mixing with bleach, it can release some dangerous gas.
- Take ¾ of a teaspoon (1.67ml) of the chlorine bleach and add it into the bottle, filled with water. Shake it well.
- The cleaning solution is now ready to clean your dishwasher.
Running the dishwasher with bleach
Take half a cup of bleach and keep it in the dishwasher. Run the dishwasher empty on the hottest setting.
Make sure that your dishwasher is not made up of stainless steel if you are willing to wash it with bleach. Since bleach can damage and discolour your dishwasher. If your dishwasher or any part of the dishwasher is made up of stainless steel, then use the method given below to clean your dishwasher.
Cleaning dishwasher with vinegar
Cleaning the dishwasher with vinegar is the easiest and safest way. Here are some steps to follow for effective cleaning.
- Take a bowl (dishwasher-safe) with 2-3 cups of vinegar.
- Clean the filter, before you place the bowl in the dishwasher.
- Place the bowl, filled with vinegar on the top rack ideally.
- Now, run the machine.
- Once it is done, for the remaining parts where the vinegar didn’t reach, use a spray bottle filled with a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar for cleaning the untouched parts.
- Finally, Use a wipe to clean the vinegar and gently rub the stubborn spots.
Cleaning dishwasher with baking soda
How does it sound, when we come across baking soda as a cleaning tool? Yes, other than baking, baking soda is equally effective for cleaning your dishwasher. Now, let’s see how it works?
- First, clean the filter. Remove all the food residue.
- Sprinkle baking all over along the bottom of your dishwasher.
- Now, give it a go, by running a hot water cycle.
- To ensure proper cleaning all around the corner, use a spray bottle filled with baking soda solution.
- Finally, to give it a final touch, use vinegar spray and wipe it with a clean towel or cloth.
- Repeat the steps mentioned above after every three months, to keep your dishwasher clean and work effectively.
- Keep a check on the drain trap to make sure there are no clogs.
- Scrape plates before placing them in the dishwasher.
- Always keep a check on the manual attached with your dishwasher, to be sure about all do’s and don’ts.
- Don’t overfill your dishwasher otherwise, it will not work properly.
In this article, we answered, “Can I clean the dishwasher with bleach”.