In this brief discussion, we will answer the question “can dogs eat tangerines?” We will also talk about are tangerines safe for dogs? What nutrients are found in tangerines? and are tangerines healthy for dogs?
Can dogs eat tangerines?
Yes, dogs can eat tangerines. Dogs can eat all types of oranges including tangerines. Tangerines are vitamin c and potassium-rich fruit that positively impact your dog’s health.
You should give dogs a little amount at first and observe their response. If they show any signs of an allergic reaction or do not respond well, do not feed them more tangerine and contact their vet as soon as possible.
What are tangerines?
Tangerines belong to the citrus family. They are much harder to peel as compared to satsumas. Moreover, they’re rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and Potassium respectively.
Tangerines are safe for dogs to eat as they do not cause toxicity and they also provide many prominent health benefits to dogs. However, they have high sugar content which makes them unsuitable for diabetic and obese dogs.
Are tangerines safe for dogs?
Yes, tangerines are safe for dogs. They do not cause toxicity in dogs and they are rich in nutrients needed by dogs to function properly.
Tangerines are an excellent source of vitamin C which helps in managing stress levels in dogs in times of emotional and physical overexertion.
Their salt content is low but their sugar levels are high which makes them unhealthy for diabetic or obese dogs.
What nutrients are found in tangerines?
Tangerines are rich in vitamins and minerals that play a vital role in shaping your dog’s overall health. It contains generous amounts of vitamin C that boosts the dog’s immune system.
It is also a good source of other water-soluble vitamins including Thiamine, vitamin B5, vitamin B7, and vitamin B6. Flavonoids and Antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin are also found in tangerines. It also contains a reasonable amount of fiber.
Are tangerines healthy for dogs?
Yes, tangerines are healthy for dogs only if they are given occasionally in limited amounts. Since it is high in calories and nutrients, it is an excellent addition to your dog’s overall diet.
When it is fed as a treat it provides a good source of vitamin C and B vitamins. All of which help in providing the following benefits:
- The generous amount of vitamin C found in the tangerines help in boosting the immune health of dogs.
- The rich antioxidant content of tangerines helps in preventing chronic diseases by fighting free radicals in dogs.
- Tangerines are great for dogs suffering from emotional or physical health problems because vitamin C has proven excellent in managing stress levels.
- The high potassium content of tangerines helps in promoting muscle and nerve health in dogs.
- Fiber is also present in tangerines which help in the promotion of healthy bowel movements and in improving the digestive system of dogs.
So far we have discussed whether dogs can eat tangerines and if it is healthy and safe for dogs, as well as the nutritional content and health benefits of tangerines. Now let us discuss the precautions you should take before feeding tangerines to dogs
What precautions should be taken while feeding tangerines to dogs?
Dogs can eat tangerines as they are safe and healthy for dogs. However, some things should be taken care of to ensure your dog’s complete safety. Some of these guidelines are listed below:
- Some dogs might not react well to the taste of tangerines. Therefore, before introducing them to your dog’s diet, give them a little amount and observe their response.
- The peel of tangerine is unsafe for dogs as it contains essential oils that can upset your dog’s stomach leading to diarrhea and vomiting. Therefore, make sure you do not feed tangerine peel to your dog.
- Feed tangerines in limited amounts because more than the required amounts can disrupt their diet’s balance which can negatively impact your dog’s health.
Are there any harmful effects of tangerines on dogs?
Tangerines are generally safe for dogs to eat. But consuming too many tangerines can raise your dog’s blood sugar levels which is a significant concern, especially in diabetic and obese dogs.
If your dog has diabetes, feeding them tangerines can worsen their condition. Moreover, if your dog ingests tangerine peel it can upset your dog’s stomach.
How many tangerines are recommended for dogs?
Dogs can eat tangerines safely but only in limited amounts. In general, large dogs can safely consume a small tangerine daily while small dogs are recommended to consume ⅓ or ¼ of a tangerine per day.
We answered the question “can dogs eat tangerines? We also talked about Are there any harmful effects of tangerines? And how many tangerines are recommended for dogs?