Can dogs eat tamales?
In this brief discussion, we will answer the question “can dogs eat tamales?” We will also talk about are tamales safe for dogs? What nutrients are found in tamales? and are tamales healthy for dogs?
Can dogs eat tamales?
No, dogs cannot eat tamales. Tamales are a traditional Mexican delicacy that includes unsuitable ingredients for dogs. They are mainly made of masa and corn husk along with some spices and seasonings that are potentially toxic for dogs. Eating tamales can upset your dog’s stomach. Therefore, you should not feed tamales to dogs.
Are tamales safe for dogs?
No, tamales are not safe for dogs. Tamales are cooked with ingredients that are harmful to dogs. Moreover, they contain a lot of calories which makes them unsuitable to be given as treats to dogs.
The ingredients used to make tamales can upset your dog’s stomach causing diarrhea and vomiting. Some ingredients such as garlic and onion can also cause toxicosis in dogs.
What nutrients are found in tamales?
Tamales are a calorie-dense food made with corn dough. The nutrient content of tamales varies depending on the ingredients used to make tamales. In general, tamales are a good source of fiber and proteins.
Tamales also contain high levels of fat depending on the type of meat used in making them. They also contain a generous amount of important minerals such as magnesium, sodium, potassium, and phosphorus.
Are tamales healthy for dogs?
No, tamales are not healthy for dogs. Tamales have high fat, calorie, and sodium content which makes them extremely unhealthy for dogs. High sodium levels can cause sodium toxicity in dogs as well as high blood pressure.
High-fat content also puts dogs at risk of unhealthy weight gain and cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, some ingredients of tamales particularly spices and seasonings can raise serious health issues in dogs.
So far we have discussed whether dogs can eat tamales and if they are healthy and safe for dogs, as well as the nutritional content of tamales. Now let us discuss the potential risks of feeding tamales to dogs.
What are the potential risks of feeding tamales to dogs?
Tamales are considered unhealthy and unsafe for dogs because of their high sodium and fat content. They can put your dog at risk of various health issues. Some of the potential risks of feeding tamales to dogs are given below:
- Tamales can upset your dog’s stomach causing abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Tamales can cause sodium poisoning in dogs due to their high sodium content
- Hemolytic anemia can occur in dogs who eat tamales containing garlic or onions.
- Some ingredients of tamales can cause allergic reactions in dogs
- Tamales can increase the chances of unhealthy weight gain in dogs because of their high caloric content.
Which ingredients of tamales are harmful to dogs?
Tamales are a traditional Mexican delicacy loved by many. But they contain certain ingredients that make them extremely harmful to dogs. These ingredients include:
- Corn husks: corn husks are one of the main ingredients of tamales. They carry the risk of choking which can extremely irritate your dog’s stomach. Moreover, they are not easily digestible and clog your dog’s intestine which can cause intestinal bleeding and constipation.
- Masa: masa also known as corn dough used in making tamales is unsafe for dogs because it is enriched with unsafe ingredients like lard, spices, salts, and salsa. These ingredients can raise serious health consequences in dogs.
- Salsa and chili peppers: salsa contains spices that can be irritating to your dog’s stomach. These spicy ingredients can cause diarrhea, vomiting, indigestion, and gagging in dogs.
- Onion and garlic; onion and garlic are used in almost all human foods for flavor. They are extremely toxic for dogs because they cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. Onion and garlic toxicity symptoms include lethargy, weakness, and anemia. In some cases, death can also occur.
- Salt: dogs fulfill most of their daily sodium requirements through dog food. Giving dogs tamales can increase the risk of sodium toxicity since they are high in sodium.
Can dogs eat hot tamales candy?
No, dogs cannot eat hot tamales candy. The candy version of tamales contains a lot of sugar which can increase the chances of obesity and diabetes in dogs.
Moreover, the spicy taste of tamales candy can irritate your dog’s stomach. This can lead to diarrhea and vomiting including abdominal pain.
If you suspect your dog has eaten tamales or tamales candy, observe them for any unusual symptoms. If you notice any unusual change in their behavior, take them to the vet as soon as possible.
Other FAQs about Tamales that you may be interested in.
We answered the question “can dogs eat tamales? We also talked about which ingredients of tamales are harmful to dogs? And can dogs eat hot tamales candy?