Can dogs eat seedless grapes?

In this article, we will answer the query, “Can dogs eat seedless grapes?” along with some other questions like are seedless grapes safe for your dog? What would you do if your dog ate seedless grapes? 

Can dogs eat seedless grapes?

No, dogs cannot eat seedless grapes. Grapes are toxic for your dog, whether they are peeled off, seedless, or fresh. The exact cause of toxicity is still unknown to us, but one thing is for sure it affects the major organs of the body. It causes kidney failure in dogs.

Are seedless grapes safe for your dog?

No, seedless grapes are not safe for your dog. It is important to know that all types of grapes, whether dried, red, or green grapes are toxic for your dog. Following are the symptoms of grapes poisoning:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urine production

What would you do if your dog ate seedless grapes?

If you see signs of shock or difficulty in breathing, you should immediately visit the vet as he is the only one who is capable of doing something. Grape poisoning can be fatal for your dog if left untreated. The recovery of your dog depends upon your quick response to this emergency situation.

What can your vet do to save your dog?

There are several lines of treatment to save your dog. The line of treatment depends upon the condition of your dog.

If your dog is in stable condition and is not showing any critical signs, your vet might go for further testing to see if the seedless grapes are the cause of poisoning or not. After that, your vet will go for further treatment options like giving activated charcoal or inducing vomiting.

The second thing is if your dog is in a critical condition, then the only option left is to immediately rehydrate the animal. If your dog is affected by severe dehydration, rehydration is the first thing to save him.

The next thing is to check if the kidneys are working properly. If the kidney is working properly, there is no need to worry about it. It is a minor case of poisoning. If the kidneys are producing no urine and are damaged, your vet will induce certain drugs to support the kidney.

If there is kidney failure, then your dog will be shifted to dialysis. Dialysis in dogs is very difficult to maintain. The last option is euthanasia. Nobody wants to euthanasia his dog, but it is the only option left in the last. It is better to euthanize your dog rather than keeping your dog in pain.

So far, we have discussed: are seedless grapes safe for your dog? And the signs of grape poisoning in your dog. Now let’s dive into the details of how to prevent seedless grape poisoning?

How to prevent seedless grape poisoning?

There are various ways to prevent seedless grape poisoning. First, you need to restrict the reach of your dog to grapes and other toxic foods like raisins and grape juice. Every home has grapes and other fruits on its dining table; make sure your dog doesn’t get them. 

The next thing is to make sure your children do not give grapes to their dogs. Children in every home love to play with animals; they love to share food with them. 

Make sure your children don’t give grapes to your dog. Children are messy eaters; if you give grapes to them, they might spread the grapes on the floor. There is a good chance that your dog might eat it.

Thirdly, make sure you check the ingredients of the human food you are giving your dog. There are many human foods that have grapes and grape juice. A slight mistake can prove fatal for your dog.

Can dogs recover from grape poisoning?

Yes, dogs can recover from grape poisoning. This recovery depends upon several factors. 

These factors are:

  • The number of grapes your dog ingested.
  • How sensitive your dog is to grapes.
  • How immediately was he treated?
  • The status of kidneys

If your dog doesn’t ingest large amounts of grapes and you immediately visit the vet when you realize your dog has eaten grapes. If your vet acted immediately, then there is a chance your dog will survive.

If your dog has consumed large quantities of grapes and you didn’t visit the vet in time, then there is less chance of your dog surviving.

Conclusion

In this article, we answered the query, “Can dogs eat seedless grapes?” We also discussed other questions like are grapes safe for your dog? What are the clinical signs of grape poisoning? What would you do if your dog ate seedless grapes? How to prevent seedless grape poisoning? And can a dog recover from seedless grape poisoning?

References

https://www.purina.com/articles/dog/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-grapes

https://wagwalking.com/treatment/dialysis-and-renal-replacement-therapy

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.