Can dogs eat raisins?

In this article, we will briefly answer the query, “Can dogs eat raisins?” along with some other questions like What are the signs of raisins poisoning in dogs? What would you do if your dog ate raisins? And what can a vet do in this regard?

Can dogs eat raisins?

No, dogs cannot eat raisins. Raisins are toxic to your dog as grape juice. The exact causative agent of the raisins is not exactly determined, but they are very toxic. There is no safer level of consumption, and you shouldn’t give your dog any raisins.

What are the signs of raisin toxicity in dogs?

Usually, the signs and symptoms start to appear 12 to 24 hours after consumption. Here is the list of some signs and symptoms that appear after the consumption of grapes and raisins:

  • After consuming grapes and raisins, the major thing is it affects the kidneys. The urine output is compromised in this case. Your dog will stop urinating, or there is very low urine output in this case.
  • Kidneys are the major excretory organ in the body. It removes all the harmful wastes from the body. If it shuts down, the harmful chemicals will build up in the body, and it will damage the rest of the organs.
  • Dogs’ digestive system is very sensitive to raisins and grapes. When they consume raisins and grapes, the first thing that it affects is their GI system. Diarrhea and vomiting are the common symptoms you will observe in this case.
  • Your dog will become anorectic.
  • Lethargy and depression are also present.
  • Bad breath and shivering are also observable.
  • Dehydration and abdominal pain are also there.

What can you do when your dog consumes raisins?

Dogs love to eat what smells good. Grapes and raisins will probably smell good; that is why your dog will consume them. If your dog consumes grapes and raisins, you should be worried about it. Treat this situation as an emergency situation.

Take your dog to your nearest vet as quickly as possible. The signs and symptoms of this toxicity are very similar to other toxicities; that is why it is difficult to diagnose it. 

History is important. History means what you tell your vet about your dog. If the vet finds out that your dog consumed grapes, then it will be easy for your vet to diagnose this condition.

Your vet can also perform some tests for confirmatory diagnosis of this toxicity. The major test your vet will perform is a urinalysis as your vet knows that raisins affect the kidneys, complete blood count, and biochemistry profile of your dog.

This will help your vet to diagnose what kind of toxicity is there and what is the severity of the toxicity. He will also know about the prognosis. Prognosis is the desirable outcome of the disease. 

When this toxicity damages the kidneys, the prognosis is very poor in that case. Dialysis or kidney transplant is the only option that is left for you to save your dog.

How can a vet treat raisin toxicity?

The first thing your vet can do is induce vomiting. You might think about how it can save your dog from a poor prognosis. The stay time of grapes and raisins in the stomach is 4 to 6 hours before absorption from the intestine. 

During this phase, raisins wouldn’t cause any kind of toxicity because it is not absorbed in the bloodstream. If we induce vomiting at this stage, it will help your dog to remove unabsorbed raisins from the stomach. This will surely help your dog to tackle this situation.

Activated charcoal is an important inducer of vomiting and is most commonly used in this case. The vomiting will surely reduce the risk of a poor prognosis. Now there is the fluid loss that needs to be attended to.

The fluid loss is due to diarrhea and vomiting. Your dog might be hospitalized in this case, somewhat 48 hours just to gain his energy.

After that, your vet will perform the necessary test to see if the vital organs like the kidney are functioning properly. Complete blood count and biochemistry profile will be helpful in this case. After that, your vet will allow you to take your pet animal to your home.

After coming home, you also need to monitor your dog for a few days to check if he is eating well, any signs of discomfort, diarrhea, lethargy, or vomiting.

How to prevent raisin toxicity?

The best way to prevent raisin poisoning is to keep your dog away from human food like grapes. Keep the grapes locked in the refrigerator where your dog cannot reach them.

Conclusion

In this article, we briefly answered the query, “Can dogs eat raisins?” We also discussed some other questions like what are the signs of raisin toxicity? And what can you and your vet do if you suspect raisin toxicity?

References

https://firstvet.com/us/articles/can-dogs-eat-raisins

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/grape-raisin-and-currant-poisoning-in-dogs

https://www.dailypaws.com/dogs-puppies/dog-nutrition/what-can-dogs-eat/can-dogs-eat-grapes

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-269/activated-charcoal

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.