Can Dogs Eat Oreos?
In this short blog we will discuss whether “Dogs can eat oreos?”. When answering this question, we will also talk about the characteristics of Oreo that can harm dogs’ health, and what should be done when the animal accidentally feeds on Oreo.
Can Dogs Eat Oreos?
Dogs cannot eat Oreos. Oreos should only be used for human diet, so dogs should not be given even a piece of this type of food. Oreo is a common food in the human diet due to its practicality and taste, which is why many dogs can end up ingesting it.
Often through carelessness, dogs can end up eating what they shouldn’t. Many dogs can have health problems when eating foods that are toxic or that cause some type of allergy in dogs. That’s why you should always feed dogs with food specific to the animal’s species.
What is an Oreo?
Oreo is an industrialized food made with a cookie made of wheat flour, oil, sugar and chocolate. This type of food is full of sugar and fats that make it palatable to children and dogs.
The Oreo is a super famous cookie, and many people end up giving a piece or even a whole cookie to their dogs. This practice is not beneficial for the dog’s health. So, it is recommended to avoid providing this type of food to dogs. Accidentally some dogs can consume large amounts of Oreo, thus needing veterinary care.
Why can Oreo be toxic to dogs?
The flour rich in sugar, vegetable fat and cocoa present in these cookies can harm the health of dogs.
For dogs, excess sugar can lead to metabolic changes that in the long run can bring several harms to dogs’ health. In addition, these foods can promote obesity and the appearance of heart and circulatory problems due to the amount of fat present in the Oreo.
The chocolate present in the Oreo is toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. This substance in the dog’s body is not processed correctly leading to intoxication.
The common symptoms of intoxicated dogs when eating chocolate are:
- Increased heart rate;
- Increased blood pressure;
- Increased urination;
When animals do not receive adequate support from a veterinarian, symptoms can worsen which can result in the death of the dog.
What to do if the animal eats Oreo?
If the dog has eaten Oreos, you should see a vet as soon as possible. Oreos are made up of foods that can be very harmful to the dogs physiology. When not properly treated, animals can experience vomiting, diarrhea, neurological signs, dehydration and even death.
The amount of Oreos ingested by dogs is what will define the severity of the problem. So the more Oreos the animal eats, the more life-threatening it can be. For those who ate only one Oreo, the chances of health problems are much lower. But it is always advisable to seek help from the veterinarian, so the animal will be under observation and treated in the appropriate way according to the symptoms.
If the dog cannot eat oreo what other treats can be added to the dog’s diet?
Before adding any food to the dog’s diet, a veterinarian must be consulted for the correct balance of the dog’s diet. But in general, natural foods tend to bring several benefits to dogs.
Among the favorites are fruits such as bananas, mangoes, apples, oranges, melons, among others. The fruits can be used as snacks for dogs. But care should always be taken when preparing this type of food. Usually, the bark and seeds can bring some harm to the health of dogs.
The bottom line!
Dogs can eat some natural foods, but foods like cookies or Oreos should be avoided. These processed products can be rich in substances that can harm the dog’s health and even lead to death. If the animal consumes a large amount of Oreo, the animal should be taken to the veterinarian for an urgent evaluation.
Other FAQs about Cookies that you may be interested in.
This short blog talked about the consumption of Oreos by dogs answering the question “can dogs eat Oreos?”. Finally, we talked about the characteristics of Oreo that can harm dogs’ health, and what should be done when the animal accidentally feeds on Oreo.