Can dogs drink chocolate milk?

In this brief guide, we will answer the query, “Can dogs drink chocolate milk?” and will discuss what to do if your dog mistakenly ingests the chocolate and will discuss ways to prevent your dog from eating any kind of chocolate.

 Can dogs drink chocolate milk?

No, dogs cannot drink chocolate milk.

Dogs can be poisoned by methylxanthines, which are found in chocolate. In addition, many adult dogs are lactose intolerant, resulting in flatulence and overall discomfort. Immediately contact your vet if your dog has ingested chocolate milk.

In some cases, depending on the type of chocolate and how much your dog consumes, it might create a medical emergency. Your dog’s health should be closely monitored if he has eaten chocolate.

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Chocolate?

The Merck/Merial Manual for Veterinary Health states that chocolate includes both theobromine and caffeine, which can increase the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system in dogs. If your dog eats chocolate, he or she is in danger of falling ill. Depending on the kind of chocolate, these hazardous chemicals are present in varying quantities. The list of theobromine-containing chocolates is as follows:

·         Dark chocolate

·         Milk chocolate

·         Unsweetened baker’s chocolate

·         Cocoa powder

·         Semisweet chocolate

Knowing how much and what sort of chocolate your dog ate might assist you and your veterinarian assess whether there is an emergency… There are minor signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs who ingest 20 mg of methylxanthines per kilogram. Chocolate poisoning can cause cardiac symptoms at doses of 40 to 50 mg/kg, and seizures at doses more than 60 mg/kg.

A very worrying chocolate dosage is around one ounce of milk chocolate for every pound of body weight, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Especially for tiny dogs, eating even one Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar, which weighs 1.55 ounces, might have significant repercussions. When it comes to treats, though, chocolate should never be given to your dog as a reward.

Chocolate Poisoning Symptoms

After eating chocolate, your dog may show signs of chocolate poisoning within 6 to 12 hours. Symptoms include:

·         Vomiting

·         Diarrhea

·         Restlessness

·         Increased urination

·         Tremors

·         Elevated or abnormal heart rate

·         Seizures

·         Collapse and death

Chocolate poisoning is more likely to cause sudden death in older dogs and those with cardiac problems.

Do You Know What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Chocolate?

Consult your veterinarian right away for guidance if you suspect that your dog has consumed chocolate in any form. It’s possible your veterinarian would advise you to keep an eye on your dog’s condition and call him back if it worsens based on his size, the amount of chocolate ingested, and the sort of chocolate consumed by your dog.

As a last resort, a veterinarian may ask that you bring your dog to the clinic for treatment. Your veterinarian may induce vomiting and administer multiple doses of activated charcoal to your pet if he ate the chocolate less than two hours ago. An additional therapy, such as medicines or intravenous fluids, may be required in more severe instances. Dogs with epilepsy may need to be watched overnight at the vet’s clinic.

Dogs and Chocolate: How to Keep Them Apart

If your dog is a bigger breed, it’s still not advised that you give him milk chocolate as a reward. Here are some ideas on how to keep your dog from sneaking chocolate from you:

·         Put it away: Store all chocolate goods, including cocoa powder and hot chocolate mix, on a high shelf in a closed-door pantry. Bring up the topic of keeping chocolate out of the reach of dogs and not leaving it on counters, tables, or in handbags with your children and guests. The same goes for Halloween and Easter baskets. Make sure that your dog can’t get your candy, stockings, or Hanukkah gelt (Hanukkah coins) while you’re putting them out for trick-or-treating.

·         Teaching the command “leave it” is a great way to keep your dog from eating something that falls to the ground or is left within reach during a walk and is easy to teach your pup. And it’s easy to learn.

·         Your dog should be crate trained if you don’t want him to consume anything hazardous when you’re not around. This will allow your dog to stand up and turn around comfortably and safely when he wants to be alone or when you can’t monitor him. If you want him to feel like the crate is his den, provide toys, stuffed Kongs, a favorite blanket, and goodies. 

Conclusion

In this brief guide, we answered the query, “Can dogs drink chocolate milk?” and discussed what to do if your dog mistakenly ingests the chocolate, and discussed ways to prevent your dog from eating any kind of chocolate.

References

https://www.rover.com/blog/can-my-dog-eat-chocolate-milk/

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.