In this brief guide we’ll be answering the question, “can cooked chicken go in the fridge?” We will discuss the nutritional value of chicken along with its health benefits. We will also discuss the proper ways to store chicken and will get to know the health risks of eating spoiled chicken.
Can cooked chicken go in the fridge?
Yes, cooked chicken can be stored in the refrigerator and it is recommended to store cooked chicken in the refrigerator to keep it fresh for a longer duration. If you want to store the uncooked chicken it will go into the freezer as it will spoil in the refrigerator.
USDA recommends that you can keep your cooked chicken in the refrigerator for upto 2 days. These recommendations are for turkey and chicken meat both.
It is recommended not to freeze your raw chicken for a longer duration but if needed then you can freeze it for upto 1-year and for the cooked chicken you can keep it in the freezer for upto 6 months.
What is the nutritional value of chicken?
Chicken is considered a good source of protein and is a staple food in every household. Chicken is lean meat and along with its protein content, it contains the following nutrients. 100 g of chicken contains the following nutrients.
What are the proper ways to store chicken?
Chicken is one of the difficult foods to preserve, but don’t be concerned. This portion will teach you how to properly handle and store chicken after it has been opened.
- To refrigerate your leftover chicken you should place it in airtight containers and it can go upto 2-3 days.
- If you don’t have an airtight container don’t worry you can put your chicken in the plastic wrap and find the coldest place in your refrigerator to keep it.
- You should be concerned if you have left out your chicken on your kitchen counter for more than 2 hours.
- Any leftover chicken should be stored as soon as possible.
Are there any health benefits of eating chicken?
There are many health benefits of eating chicken, few of them are mentioned below:
- Chicken breast is a rich source of protein. 100 g of chicken breast provides 23 g of protein. Proteins are a good source of amino acids.
- Chicken is also a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Chicken is a good source of B vitamins which are necessary for the body’s metabolism. Vitamin B complex also helps in the maintenance of many other body functions.
- One of the major health benefits of this food is it helps in weight loss. If you are looking for a high protein and low-fat option to lose weight then the chicken breast is your answer.
- Research studies suggest that if you want to lose weight you should go for the lean protein option and chicken is your best option. If you want to get rid of some extra fat and maintain your body weight you should look for the greatest chicken wings.
What are the ways to make your chicken dish healthy?
You can cook your chicken in a variety of ways. Here we have mentioned some healthy ways to cook your chicken.
- Chicken on the grill. A very nutritious and healthy option for eating chicken is grilled chicken. It takes less oil in its preparation. Green and starchy vegetables are added to grilled chicken to add carbohydrates to the meal.
- Stir-fried chicken. Stir-frying chicken adds less oil to the chicken. This method helps you to avoid extra oil and again you can add vegetables of your liking to the dish.
What are the health risks of eating spoiled chicken?
Cooking and eating chicken that has been exposed to pathogens and has become rotten is not safe for your health.
You can kill the bacteria that are on the surface of the chicken but you will get exposed to the toxins that are produced by these bacteria.
Food poisoning is caused by eating contaminated or bad food and it can cause severe health problems.
Campylobacter and salmonella are two food-borne bacteria that are produced in chicken and cause severe illnesses upon consumption.
Their production depends upon the handling and storage of the chicken. If it is proper then you don’t need to worry about getting sick.
In this brief guide we answered the question, “can cooked chicken go in the fridge?” We also discussed the nutritional value of chicken along with its health benefits. We also discussed the proper ways to store chicken and got to know the health risks of eating spoiled chicken.