Can coconut oil make your hair grow?
In this article, we will answer the question “Can coconut oil make your hair grow?”, and how to wash coconut oil out of your hair?
Can coconut oil make your hair grow?
All of the following proven effects of coconut oil help promote a healthier and cleaner scalp which ultimately leads to strong, frizz-free, and lustrous hair.
Prevents fungal growth
A lab study has affirmed the ability of coconut oil to prevent fungal infections. This makes coconut oil very useful in preventing dandruff. But this doesn’t always work. For some people, coconut oil may trigger dandruff because it clogs the pores when applied to the scalp.
Rich in fats, coconut oil prevents scalp irritation, flaking, and itching and promotes a healthy and hydrated scalp.
Repairs split ends
Hair strands break if they become dry and brittle. Coconut oil hydrates the hair strands and prevents protein loss from hair. Besides, coconut oil is more effectively absorbed into the hair strands as compared to other mineral oils.
Protects from heat damage
Rubbing some coconut oil through damp hair before styling protects the hair from heat damage by preventing the hair from becoming dry and brittle.
Prevents hair loss
Coconut oil repairs the damaged hair shaft due to excessive styling. It moisturizes the scalp and reduces hair breakage. This prevents hair loss and thinning.
Prevents lice growth
Coconut oil is better at preventing lice than medicated treatments. Combining the coconut oil with anise enhances its ability to prevent lice by 40% as compared to chemical permethrin.
A mixture of coconut oil, anise oil, and ylang-ylang oil is also an effective lice treatment and a good alternative for its medicated options.
How to wash your hair with coconut oil?
To prevent greasy hair, it is recommended to start by messaging only a tsp of coconut oil into your scalp. Then you can increase the amount to as much as 2 tbsp, depending upon the volume, length, and type of your hair.
As a pre-wash hair protector: Pour some coconut oil into your palm and massage it into your scalp. Do not go overboard with the quantity of coconut oil as it will make the roots very greasy.
Microwave a damp towel for about 10 minutes and wrap your hair with it. Leave on for 30 minutes then shampoo your hair.
As a scalp treatment: Massage coconut oil into your scalp and leave overnight. Shampoo the next morning.
As a conditioner: After shampooing, apply some coconut oil along the length of your hair. Comb to distribute it uniformly.
As a post-wash detangler: Combing some coconut oil through your hair after shampooing and conditioning will make frizzy hair.
As a hair mask: Apply coconut oil to the scalp and along the length of your hair. Leave it on for several hours or overnight for best results.
How to use coconut oil for your hair?
Add some other natural ingredients to your coconut oil for added benefits. These include aloe vera gel, whole egg or egg white, avocado, argan oil, olive oil, etc.
- Microwave the coconut oil for 30 seconds or until the coconut oil is soft but not fully melted.
- Rub the warm coconut oil onto your fingers and work it through your hair from the roots to the hair tips.
- Tie your hair into a bun and wrap it with a towel. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition your hair as regularly.
How to wash coconut oil out of hair?
Rinsing with natural solutions
- Mix 1 teaspoon (4.9 mL) in your shampoo and lather it into your hair and scalp. Leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- Make a thick paste of baking soda with 1-2 tablespoons (7-14 g) and water9as needed). Apply it onto your oily scalp and rinse with warm water.
- Squeeze 2 fresh lemons into 8 fluid ounces (240 ml). Apply this mixture to your hair and let sir. Rinse with warm water. Add some honey to the mixture to get shiny hair.
- Make an egg wash by adding 32 fluid ounces (950 ml) of water into 2-3 whisked eggs. Apply it to your hair and scalp. Leave for 5-10 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
Using a No-Rinse powder solution
Say no to products with talc. Use dry shampoo or cornstarch, baking soda, arrowroot powder, or baby powder to get rid of greasy scalp areas.
Comb your hair until the powder vanishes. If the white cast persists, wash your hair with liquid shampoo.
Other FAQs about Oils that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “Can coconut oil make your hair grow?”, and how to wash coconut oil out of your hair?