Are scrambled eggs good for you? (+9 ways to tell)
In this article, we will answer the question “Are scrambled eggs good for you”? and discuss the nutritional value and drawbacks of the scrambled eggs for you.
Are scrambled eggs good for you?
Yes, scrambled eggs are good for you. Eggs whether it is scrambled or boiled or fried are the healthiest choice for you. They are a rich source of nutrients.
After years of research now it is clear that eggs are not bad for the heart instead it improves the cholesterol level. Use pasteurized eggs and cook them on proper heat, use oil that has a high smoke point like ghee or tallow. Don’t cook them on low heat for a short period.
Nutritional value of scrambled eggs
- Scrambled eggs provide high-quality protein, 1 egg provides 6.7 g of protein. It is the most inexpensive source of protein.
- Scrambled eggs protein is a complete protein because it contains 9 types of amino acids that make them a complete protein.
- Scrambled eggs provide choline that is important for pregnant women as it can decrease the birth defect. The deficiency of choline in men and women can lead to muscle damage and abnormal fat deposition in the liver.
- It is a rich source of vitamin A that is important for the eyes.
- It can provide vitamin E, A, B2, B6, B12 that dilute the blood vessels and lower cholesterol accumulation.
- Eggs can provide 6% of vitamin D that is necessary for bones and the immune system.
- It is a rich source of lutein and zeaxanthin, an antioxidant that protects you from muscular degeneration and cataracts.
- It can provide the feeling of satiety.
- It is a rich source of HDL cholesterol that acts as an antioxidant and can reduce the LDL cholesterol in your blood.
Can scrambled eggs help in weight loss?
Yes, scrambled eggs can help in weight loss. These eggs can provide the feel of satiety so they can help in weight loss. Two different types of research that were conducted in 2005 and 2013 revealed the satiety effect of scrambled eggs. Eating eggs did not increase the weight.
Are there any drawbacks to eating scrambled eggs?
Although eggs are a healthy choice for you, cooking eggs at a high temperature for a long time can reduce the nutritional value of eggs.
If you bake the eggs, baking can reduce the vitamin D up to 61% but frying and boiling reduce the loss up to 18%.
Cooking can reduce vitamin A by 17 to 20%. It can also reduce the antioxidant level by 6-18%. Cooked eggs can provide more protein as compared to raw eggs. The short time cooking is better. Even if cooking can decrease the nutritional value of eggs, it is still the healthiest choice for you.
Eggs are a rich source of cholesterol and high temperature may cause cholesterol oxidation. When cholesterol is oxidized it may form a compound known as oxysterol. Oxysterol can cause heart-related issues.
It can come from many foods like French fries and fried chicken. Cholesterol oxidized in the body by consuming processed foods and sugar is more dangerous than consuming oxidized cholesterol from food.
Scrambled eggs can cause stomach upset if you have an intolerance to eggs while or yolk. This may lead to gastrointestinal issues like bloating and diarrhoea.
What is the healthiest way to scramble eggs?
Although scrambled eggs make the cholesterol oxidized, there are many ways through which you can make the eggs healthier. You should choose pasteurized eggs. All eggs are not produced the same way.
For pastured eggs hens are allowed to go outside in the sunlight and have more vitamin D. The pasture-raised egg contains one third less cholesterol as compared to conventional eggs. It contains 2/3 more vitamin A, 2 times more omega-3 fatty acid, 3 times more vitamin E and 7 times more beta carotene as compared to conventional eggs.
Omega 3 enriched eggs have less arachidonic acid (39% less) as compared to organic and conventional eggs. They have 500 times more omega 3 fatty acid as compared to conventional and organic. This is omega 6 fatty acid that causes inflammation.
Don’t overcook the scrambled eggs. It may reduce the nutritional value of eggs and cause oxidation in cholesterol. Cook them on low heat for a shorter period. Scrambled eggs can cook on less heat as compared to other methods.
You should use heat-stable oil high in polyunsaturated fatty acids so they can oxidize easily. Stay away from vegetable and seed oils.
Are scrambled eggs easily digestible?
These are easily digestible. These are suitable for people who are recovering from nausea and stomach viruses. The egg white easily digested because they contain fewer fats.
Other FAQs about Eggs that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “Are scrambled eggs good for you”? and discussed the nutritional value and drawbacks of the scrambled eggs for you.
If you have any questions or comments please let us know.