Are coconut bowls safe to eat from?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question, “Are coconut bowls safe to eat from?”. We will discuss the benefits of eating from a coconut bowl as well as how to properly use a coconut bowl.
Are coconut bowls safe to eat from?
Yes, coconut bowls are perfectly safe to eat from. They are a natural, sustainable alternative to plastic food bowls.
Coconut bowls are safe to eat from because they are natural items made from coconut shells. Everything utilized in the manufacturing process is chemical, vegan-friendly, plastic-free, and environmentally friendly. Only natural products are being used.
What are the benefits of eating from a coconut bowl?
There are so many benefits of eating from a coconut bowl!
Reduces waste: Every year, tons of coconuts fall from coconut palms and are dumped in wastelands across several tropical countries. To create room for more waste products, several stacks of coconuts are burned. This has a huge impact on CO2 and methane production.
These coconut bowls are an easy way to cut down on waste. By purchasing a coconut bowl, you are repurposing an item that would otherwise be discarded and contributing to a cleaner environment.
Environment friendly: Coconut bowls are environmentally friendly since they may be used as much as you want as long as they are properly cared for.
Promotes a healthy lifestyle: The purpose of these bowls is to promote a healthy lifestyle. From your coconut bowl, you can make a brunch smoothie bowl, a summer-greens salad, or rice with miso-chicken, among many other dishes.
Sustainable: Coconut bowls are eco-sustainable since they may be used as much as you want as long as they are properly cared for. If handled properly and with care, coconut bowls will last a lifetime.
How are coconut bowls made?
Coconut bowls are made in a variety of tropical countries. Here’s how coconut bowls are usually made.
- Coconuts that would otherwise be thrown away are harvested and delivered to a processing center.
- The coconut flesh, husk, and fiber are all removed, leaving only the coconut shell. After that, they’re sorted by size, thickness, and color.
- The coconut bowls are sanded thoroughly both in and out to achieve a lovely smooth finish.
- Finally, the coconut bowls are polished with pure virgin coconut oil.
How to make a coconut bowl at home?
The first step is to drill a hole on the coconut shell to drain the liquid inside.
Next, draw a line around the circumference of the coconut with a marker, either splitting it in half or in whatever proportions you wish your bowl to be.
Once you’ve divided the two parts, a helpful method for easing up the coconut meat for release is to microwave the shell. 2 minutes of microwaving is all you need. Then scoop out the coconut flesh
Scrub the inside and outside of the shell with sandpaper. Run your fingertips along the bowl till it feels silky and there are no stray pieces of coconut hair remaining.
Mix 2 parts mineral spirits with 1 part linseed oil. Coat the entire inside and exterior of the coconut bowl with the mineral spirit and linseed oil mixture using a 12-inch paintbrush.
Keep your bowl out to dry. Each coating could take anything from 1⁄2 an hour to 2 hours to dry. About 5 layers of coating will make the bowl completely waterproof.
If making your own coconut bowl seems like a lot of work, you can purchase one from here.
How to properly use a coconut bowl?
- The coconut bowls should not be microwaved because the coconut shells are sensitive to heat extremes.
- Don’t wash coconut bowls in a dishwasher because the coconut shell is extremely sensitive to temperature and chemical changes. You can wash your bowl with regular dishwashing solutions and cold/warm water from the faucet. Hand-washing these coconut bowls is a must.
- Hand-washing with soapy water is a favorite of these coconut bowls. Make sure you don’t use excessively hot water because the coconut bowls are sensitive to temperature extremes. Allow your coconut bowl to dry or lightly dry it with a clean towel.
- Because the coconut shell reacts to extreme heat, only items at room temperature should be placed in the bowl. We would warn against pouring hot meals into a coconut bowl as it may crack.
How to take care of your coconut bowl?
By carefully caring for your coconut bowl, you can make it last a lifetime. Paper towels and coconut oil are all you’ll need to polish a coconut bowl. This should be done once each 1-2 months and after about 20 uses.
- Simply dab a hand towel in the coconut oil and apply a thin, equal layer to your coconut bowl.
- Allow for 2-3 hours of drying time.
- You can now use the coconut bowl once more!
Other FAQs about Coconut that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question, “Are coconut bowls safe to eat from?”. We discussed the benefits of eating from a coconut bowl as well as how to properly use a coconut bowl.
If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.