In this blog post, we answer the following question: Are Chinese spring rolls gluten-free? We explain the difference between Chinese and Vietnamese/Thai spring rolls; What is gluten and what are symptoms of gluten intolerance. We also give you an easy recipe for gluten-free spring rolls.
Are Chinese spring rolls gluten-free?
Chinese spring rolls are not gluten-free if they are made with wheat flour pasta. Gluten is the generic term for a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. All wheat derivatives contain gluten, barley, wheat flakes, refined white flour, etc. Gluten is also an ingredient found in a variety of less obvious foods.
Vietnamese or Thai style spring rolls, on the other hand, are made with rice, a gluten-free cereal. Thus, if ordering spring rolls at a restaurant, make sure you ask if they are gluten-free,
A significant number of people experience an adverse reaction to gluten consumption, which means they must follow a diet to avoid adverse effects. Products whose packaging says gluten-free (gluten-free) have therefore become increasingly sought after.
In what foods is gluten found?
Therefore, gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye, but also their derivatives, such as malt and brewer’s yeast.
- bread (white, whole wheat, rye, whole wheat)
- pasta (including tortellini, gnocchi, lasagna)
- pastries (including croissants, pretzels, donuts)
Because gluten is also used as a thickener and filler, it is also found in:
- processed meat (sausages, sausages)
- meat (chicken, pork, turkey, chicken, duck, etc.)
- dairy products (yogurt, cheese, cheese, sour cream, milk, etc.)
- vegetable oils (olives, sunflower, corn)
- nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.)
- gluten-free cereals (corn, rice, millet, etc.)
- most beverages except beer (except the one specially made to be gluten-free and with the specific mention on the label)
How do I detect gluten intolerance?
It should be noted from the outset that gluten intolerance, also known as non-celiac gluten sensitivity, is a different condition from celiac disease. The former has recently been recognized as a de facto condition, so many people still refer to celiac disease as gluten intolerance.
Non-celiac gluten intolerance is less severe and does not affect the lining of the small intestine, as in the case of celiac disease.
Also, non-celiac gluten intolerance should not be confused with wheat allergy.
Symptoms of gluten intolerance
Common symptoms in people with gluten hypersensitivity are:
- diarrhea and constipation
- abdominal pain
Other symptoms such as:
- joint and muscle pain
- depression or anxiety
- severe abdominal pain
The only treatment, if the person has celiac disease or similar symptoms that accuse non-celiac gluten intolerance, is the diet that should not include gluten.
Nowadays, the diet is much easier to maintain due to the many products specially designed without gluten, so a real help for people who have this sensitivity. From gluten-free flour, pasta, muesli to cakes, the range of products is varied.
If you are looking for gluten-free products, this online store of organic products, is the solution.
Gluten-free spring rolls
These are the ingredients that you will need for gluten-free spring rolls:
- 1 zucchini.
- 1 eggplant.
- 1 white onion.
- 1 leek
- 2 carrots
- Olive oil.
- Gluten-free soy sauce.
- 2 garlic cloves.
- Rice noodles.
- Rice wafers.
Spring rolls filling
1. Wash all the vegetables and peel them if you want (optional, I do it partially). Then with a peeler cut the vegetables into very thin strips so that they look like noodles. In the case of eggplant, due to its texture, it will be more difficult, so we will do it with the knife creating small strips.
2. Cut the leek with the knife into small strips that are very thin.
3. Prepare a wok or a “wave saucepan” to sauté the vegetables. We will put a good chorrotón of olive oil (not much, or we will be very oily) and some garlic in large pieces. We let them brown and before they get to burn we will remove them, thus making the oil take on flavor.
4. Sauté the vegetables, start with the onion, and a few minutes later we add the aubergine and carrot. We let them do a few minutes.
5. Add the zucchini and the leek.
6. When they are practically done, add a pinch of salt and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. This will give it a very special flavor. We bought this soy sauce during our trip to Bangkok.
7. Soak a handful of rice noodles (water of time) for about 5 minutes until they are softer. This ingredient is dispensable, it is only optional to give the interior more texture.
8. Drain the noodles and add them to our wok and mix everything for a few minutes.
9. Pass everything through a strainer to remove excess oil and water. This is important so that the rolls are as good as possible, otherwise they will drip and break.
10. Let them cool on a separate plate.
Prepare the rolls
1. As you can see, the wafers are hard, so we will have to soak them for a minute to soften them.
Tip: do not leave them for more than a minute, or they will break and it will be very difficult to make the rolls.
2. Transfer the wafer to a plate and put one or two tablespoons of the vegetables in the middle.
3. Being made with rice wafers, we will not need to “stick” it with egg, since this dough sticks easily.
4. Now you have two ways to eat it:
- Directly, with the rice wafers as they are.
- Frying the rolls in very hot oil until they are slightly golden.
That is it, enjoy your gluten-free spring rolls!
In this blog post, we answered the following question: Are Chinese spring rolls gluten-free? We explained the difference between Chinese and Vietnamese/Thai spring rolls; What is gluten and what are symptoms of gluten intolerance. We also gave you an easy recipe for gluten-free spring rolls.
Chinese spring rolls are usually made with wheat, which does contain gluten. If the spring rolls are made with rice flour, then they are gluten-free. It is best to ask the cook the way he prepared them, to be sure and safe in case you have gluten-intolerance.
If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know!